Machine Quilting With Deborah Louie : 7 -14 July 2013
This week long class is designed to give you the confidence and the skills to free motion quilt and quilt with the walking foot all of your quilts, having a professional looking quilt that you can be very proud of. Firstly learning control skills, of knowing where and how to stop on a design, correct speed of hands and needle. Free form designs for blocks, sashes and borders will be covered as well and beautiful textures and quilting on stencil line and take a pattern and free form it to make your own unique design. Start designing your own individual quilting patterns exclusive to you and your own special quilts. The week covers such essentials as:
• Quilt preparation
• Ditching, straight stitching cross hatches cables and decorative thread quilting
• Demonstration of the free motion technique
• Quilting swirls with the number 6 and then changing the shape to flowers, spirals, ovals, squares.
• Baptist fans, teardrops ,m&ms, stars, stippling, flowers, hearts, all suitable as block fillers, borders and sashing,
• Swirls, spirals, echo quilting, shadow quilting.
• Quilting designs such as pebbles. Thatching, cross hatching, stars, geometric designs and numerous more are great textures.
• Using border prints
• Non marking quilting: how to quilt on busy prints
• Continuous curves for hexagons etc
• Twin needle quilting
• Quilting with glitter threads in the bobbin – reverse quilting. Thick threads like 8 ply cotton for textural quilting.
• Making border designs out of a simple element like a rose how to get an all over pattern, with even distribution of shapes.
• Taking patterns, mirror reversing them , half dropping them, looking at many possibilities of changing patterns
• Designing with continuous curves
• Practical advice for the types of quilts you make
This week long class will be enjoyable, fulfilling and rewarding. You will have the skills to beautifully machine quilt your own quilts with pride and confidence.
Course Tutor Deborah Louie is a highly successful Tutor of Domestic Machine Quilting. Her business Deborah Louie Quilting, started in 1997. It specializes in the teaching of a series of workshops designed to introduce and improve quilter’s machine quilting techniques. This includes classes for the absolute beginner to those experienced quilters who want to improve their skills. As a quilt artist she continues to develop innovative quilts and many of these have been included in quilting exhibitions, and have been on public display in hospitals and schools.
AUD $1800 twin share
Single supplement: $350
Non-quilting partners: $850
Return airport transfers from Savusavu to Daku Resort.
7 nights accommodation at Daku Resort in traditional bures with private facilities.
Breakfasts, lunches and dinners are provided.
Lectures and excursions as indicated.
Flights to Savusavu. We are happy to quote on these and book them for you if requested. Flight prices fluctuate according to demand.
Comprehensive Travel Insurance.
Optional activities not listed on the program.
Costs of a personal nature such as laundry, massages, private trips.
Meals taken in transit at the airport.
You will receive a list of material requirements and will need to bring a sewing machine.
Itinerary at a Glance
The programme is structured around morning workshops with afternoon excursions or free time to relax, swim have a spa massage or simply continue quilting. We may alter the programme in response to the weather or the interest of the group.
Mon July 8
Morning workshop: an introduction to the week.
Lunch and afternoon free to relax.
Tue July 9
After lunch you will have some free time for snorkelling, swimming and relaxing. Or there’s an optional visit to town, visiting the geothermal hot springs, local market and shops.
Wed July 10
2.00 Tapa (decorate bark cloth) making demonstration.
Thu July 11
12.30 Picnic lunch to the beach
Sat July 13
Finish individual projects; end with show and tell. Afternoon visit to local village for traditional meke (dance)
Final lovo dinner.
Sun July 14 Leave Savusavu and on to international flights.